Celebrancy as a profession developed in response to people’s need for meaningful ceremonies to mark the major milestones and transitions in their lives.
Originating in Australia, celebrancy is growing in Canada as our society has become increasingly secular and diverse. Many people no longer follow traditional cultural or religious practices, or find them to be impersonal and not relevant to their needs.
As formal traditional ceremonies have fallen away, there is now a growing awareness of the importance of taking time out of our busy lives to honour the important stages and rites of passage in our lives, and to strengthen the connections with our families, friends, colleagues and neighbours.
Celebrancy is about creating modern ceremonies that have the power to meet our deep needs to:
- celebrate the joys of new births and beginnings,
- honour and reflect on what has passed or been lost,
- acknowledge the difficulties in life, and provide healing and hope for the future.
Celebrancy is about living mindfully in the midst of all the ups and downs of life.
What is a life-cycle celebrant?
A life-cycle celebrant is a ceremony specialist who co-creates and performs customized ceremonies for weddings, funerals and other life events. As a life-cycle celebrant, I am trained in the theory and history of ceremony and rituals, symbolism and traditions from many cultures and religions.
Celebrant ceremonies may be secular, interfaith, spiritual or religious, depending on the clients’ beliefs and wishes. In our increasingly multicultural society, celebrants often create ceremonies that incorporate elements from different cultural or faith traditions, blending them into a unique and personalized ceremony that perfectly suits the needs of those being honoured.
For more information, see the Celebrant Foundation & Institute website.
Celebrant Code of Ethics
As a certified life-cycle celebrant, I promise that I will:
- serve you with respect, sensitivity, and professionalism, and will provide you with a personalized ceremony based on your needs, wishes, values, philosophical and spiritual beliefs, and cultural background
- provide unlimited consultation to you while creating your ceremony, and will ensure that you have complete choice and final say over your ceremony
- conduct a rehearsal where necessary, and will perform your ceremony in a professional and appropriate manner
- gift you with a keepsake copy of your ceremony
- comply with all marriage laws in the Province of Alberta and will file the required marriage documentation in a timely manner
How do I know if a celebrant ceremony is for me?
Meaningful and unique
If you are looking for a meaningful ceremony that uniquely reflects who you are, and where you are on life’s journey, then a celebrant is for you!
Share your story
If you are willing to share your story and what matters most to you, then a celebrant ceremony is for you.
Piece it together
If you have ideas of what you want in a ceremony, but don’t know how they can all fit together, then a celebrant is for you.
My fees vary depending on the type and complexity of your ceremony, rituals, time needed for research, location and travel time, whether a rehearsal is required, whether you need a PA system, etc.
Let’s create a one-of-a-kind ceremony – personalized just for you.